The Portabello Residence in Corona Del Mar
By Eric • Jul 14, 2011 • Selected Work
Located on Brighton Rod in Corona Del Mar, an exclusive neighborhood in the heart of Newport Beach, California, the sprawling Portabello Estate was eventually sold in late 2010 for $34.1 million, less than half the original $75 million asking price!
This spectacular 22,000 square-foot oceanfront residence features eight bedrooms (2,000 square foot master bedroom), ten bathrooms (plus five half-baths), and two saltwater pools surrounded by 3-storey high grotto cliffs!
For the price, you also get a 2-lane bowling alley with shoe and ball “rental” area, a state-of-the-art movie theater with marquee, powder rooms, stage and ticket booth, Jewelry “store” ideal for the display of family heirlooms and an automotive museum including climate/pressure control and lighting to display up to 12 collectible cars!
Would you feel at home in this house?
- Three oceanfront lots create private, nearly one acre site with private beach cove access,
- One of a handful of landmark “trophy” homes, noteworthy seascape-inspired design,
- Tremendous ocean, whitewater, Catalina and coastline views – from nearly every room,
- 22,000 square foot residence built with commercial strength post and beam construction,
- Additional 8,000 square feet of covered terraces and garaging,
- 8 bedrooms,
- 10 baths, 5 half baths,
- Garaging for 16 cars (4 up, 12 down, with lift),
- Smart Home entirely automated at the touch of a button with every technological amenity for privacy, security, convenience, comfort and entertainment (including commercial elevator),
- 2,000 square-foot master suite with 2 bedrooms, 2 baths,
- 2-bedroom, 2 bath guest suite with sitting room and mini kitchen suite,
- Separate guest casita,
- Three-story central seascape grotto featuring 2 saltwater swimming pools, 2 spas, tunnel waterslide, waterfall features, barbeque area and bathroom,
- Grand-scale living areas, including main level living room, dining room, family room and pool house lounge,
- State-of-the-art open kitchen,
- Full fitness facilities, including professional cardio and weight equipment, Pilates reformer, steam room, bathroom and locker room,
- Executive office with oceanfront views, burl wood cabinetry, leather floors and walls,
- Custom furnishings and exquisite rare and exotic finishes throughout.
The Portabello Master suite:
- Private foyer leads to 2,000 square feet of luxurious oceanfront living,
- 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms,
- Main bedroom with handmade silk wall coverings and silk upholstered “nautilus” ceiling,
- Custom leather upholstered platform bed,
- Fireplace clad in rare honey onyx,
- Pop-up plasma television,
- Private terrace accessed via Weiland lift and slide doors,
- Wet bar clad in honey onyx with blond Anagre wood cabinetry,
- Main bathroom showcasing honey onyx floors, slab counter, deep soaking tub, dual vanities, sandblasted circular glass shower, private oceanview terrace with motorized disappearing privacy screen,
- Expansive his and hers closets and dressing rooms in honey onyx, blond Anagre wood and glass,
- Luggage, trunk and fur storage room,
- Separate bed/bath master retreat with private courtyard – could serve as nursery,
- Retreat bath clad in limestone with steam shower,
- Motorized draperies.
Source: The McMonigle Group
Click any photo to see a larger image - Use buttons or j/k/arrow keys to navigate through the articles