Portuguese studio Mario Martins Atelier has designed the Colunata House project.
Completed in 2011, this coastal contemporary home is located in Lagos, a town along the Atlantic Ocean, in the Barlavento region of the Algarve, in southern Portugal.
Colunata House by Mario Martins Atelier:
“Designing a house in Luz-Lagos, in the south of Portugal, in a truly interesting location facing the sea, was defined by a set of guidelines, namely:
- The creation of a contemporary architectural element;
- Respect for and connection with the surrounding area, natural and built upon;
- The use of local materials and building techniques;
- Deciding the solar orientation and having effective wind protection;
- Making the most of the excellent location and its panoramic views;
- Creating a gentle interior/exterior transition. So that the exterior is a pleasant space for living and leisure.
These guidelines result in a set of white volumes, free and organically grouped, culminating in a semi-circular opening, which embraces the pool and opens out to the privileged sea view. This results in the central terrace, the main space of the house, where the privacy is felt and where the horizon is predominant.
It is around this terrace that the functional organisation of the house is structured, on one floor. There are five bedrooms with bathrooms and a large living room which leads to the kitchen. The garage, technical and service areas ensure the smooth running of the house.
The house is all in white. It is a southern house, and as such the light is intense. It is this light, with its strong, distinct shadows, that gives colour and meaning to the white that covers the building. The strong presence of water and the landscaping surrounding the area accentuate the tranquility of the place.”
Photos by: FG+SG
You may use j/k/arrow keys to navigate through the articles