The U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon is an award-winning biennial program that challenges collegiate teams to design, build, and operate solar-powered houses that are cost-effective, energy-efficient, and attractive.
The winner of the competition is the team that best blends affordability, consumer appeal, and design excellence with optimal energy production and maximum efficiency.
The 2011 edition took place at West Potomac Park in Washington, D.C. and closed its doors on Sunday, October 2. 19 teams were present this year.
You will find below the projects ranked 19 to 15.
19. Florida International University – perFORM[D]ance House
18. Team New Jersey (Rutgers, NJIT) – ENJOY House
17. Team New York (The City College of New York) – Solar Roofpod
16. Team Belgium: Ghent University – E-Cube
15. Team China: Tongji University – Y Container
Photos by: Jim Tetro
Source: U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon